COVER LETTER BREAKDOWN
1. FORMAT HEADER & SAY HELLO
HEADER: Display your name, address, phone number and email address in the same format as your resume.
DATE: Include the date you print and mail (or email) the letter.
RECIPIENT'S NAME & ADDRESS: Left-aligned align this information and include an individual’s name if possible.
SALUTATION: Dear Mr./Ms./Dr. Last Name (if you’re unsure of the recipient’s gender or you want to be gender neutral, write their full name).
2. INTRODUCE YOURSELF & WHAT YOU WANT
- Immediately state the position for which you are applying and how you heard about it. If you are not applying for a specific position, indicate your area of interest.
- Mention if you were referred by someone (like an alumni or other contact).
- Introduce yourself by stating your major and anticipated graduation date.
- Mention why you find the company/organization compelling and why you want to work for them.
3. DESCRIBE YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS & WHAT YOU WOULD BRING
- Point out the relevant skills you have developed through your coursework and experiences in order to show the hiring manager that you are a good fit for the position.
- Expand on the experiences that support you are a “match” for the position. Use keywords from the job description if possible.
- Describe how you would apply the skills and knowledge you gained from your experiences to the position for which you are applying.
4. WRAP IT UP & SAY THANKS
- Thank the employer for their time and consideration.
- Offer to provide any additional information.
- Provide your email and phone number in the last sentence.
End your letter with:
Your signature (leave 3 -4 spaces)
Your Typed Name